Monday, December 14, 2009

June 2008: "The Journey Begins"

As a shipper of specialty perishable produce (Agro Gourmet, LLC, San Diego, CA), it was right around the beginning June of 2008 when I learned of the upcoming TSA Certified Cargo Screening Program (CCSP). Under section 1602 of the Implementing Recommendations of the 9/11 Commission Act of 2007, P.L. 110-53 (2007) (9/11 Act), TSA is required to establish a system to screen 50 percent of air cargo transported on passenger aircraft by February 2009 and 100 percent of air cargo transported on passenger aircraft by August 2010.

As I recall, my first reaction was one of panic and my first thought was: how in the heck am I going to pull this off? I was out of my comfort zone to say the least. I was and remained, very intimidated by the up-coming project at hand. I began by searching the internet for any information I could find. Needless to say my search was fruitless, which proved right then, how new the program was and still is. Luckily, a business associate sent me an article he had found with a link to the TSA CCSP web page, I was off and running.

The first thing I did was download the CCSP application along with an application for agreeing to follow the Safety Act of 2002.

Support Anti-terrorism by Fostering Effective Technologies Act of 2002 (SAFETY Act)

The Support Anti-terrorism by Fostering Effective Technologies Act of 2002 (SAFETY Act) provides “risk management” and “litigation management” protections for Sellers of qualified anti-terrorism technologies and others in the supply and distribution chain. The aim of the Act is to encourage the development and deployment of anti-terrorism technologies that will substantially enhance the protection of the nation.

On June 25, 2008 I submitted my applications. Hurry up in wait.... or so I thought.

No comments:

Post a Comment